Are you an outgoing and energetic student who is enthusiastic about Ohio State and seeking opportunities to welcome the newest members of our Buckeye community?
Orientation Leaders are a mix of international and domestic undergraduate or graduate student leaders who play an integral role in introducing new international students to Ohio State and the city of Columbus by connecting new students to university resources and policies and sharing their experiences as successful students. Orientation Leaders will be responsible for welcoming and transitioning new international students, answering questions on a variety of topics such as transportation tips, life on campus and things to do in Columbus, and leading orientation events (virtual or in-person) around campus and Columbus. Orientation leaders work in collaboration with Peer Advisors, Office of International Affairs (OIA) professional staff, and other Ohio State administrators to ensure that new students have an exciting and positive transition to Ohio State as our newest members of our community during orientation.
Orientation Leaders must be living in the United States and be currently enrolled as an undergraduate or graduate student at Ohio State who has completed at least one semester at the time of application and whose degree will not be completed prior to Spring 2024. Orientation leaders should be in good academic and disciplinary standing. OIA is looking for individuals who are representative of the diversity of the Ohio State community in their experience and interests. orientation leader candidates should possess a variety of qualities, including (but not limited to):
- Familiarity with Ohio State campus resources and services and the city of Columbus
- Effective cross-cultural communication skills (knowledge of multiple languages or international experience is a plus but not required)
- Adaptive, open-minded and willing to learn about other cultures and perspectives
- Responsible, punctual and reliable with excellent time management skills
- Friendly and flexible with an enthusiastic attitude to adapt well in a dynamic changing work environment
- Readiness to take the initiative and responsibility to better student experience during orientation
- Proactive problem-solving abilities
- A desire to work collaboratively with students, families, faculty, staff and other Orientation Leaders
Responsibilities and Expectations
- Attend and participate in all Orientation Leader training sessions from July 24-August 20, 2023
- Be available for 20-38 hours per week as assigned from July 24-August 20, 2023
- Assist students with information and logistics questions by managing our Airport Welcome Booth and Ohio Union Welcome Booth
- Students with valid Ohio Drivers Licenses and cars may be scheduled to help carpool peer staff on your assigned Airport Welcome Booth Shift
- Assist with logistics and registration check-in during in-person orientation sessions
- Guide students on-campus services, building locations and university policies and procedures
- Facilitate small group discussions and engage peers through conversation to ease their transition
- Lead welcome activities such as shopping, arts, culture excursions and restaurant outings both on and off-campus or virtual activities through CarmenZoom
- Serve as a knowledgeable, friendly, welcoming representative of Ohio State and OIA
- Respond promptly to emails regarding your work schedule and work responsibilities
- Assist with other OIA events as needed
- Pay rate of $12/hr
- Development of leadership and communication skills
- Cultivation of relationships and networking with university faculty, staff and students
- Resume enhancement and professional development
- Gain experience working with diverse communities through cross-cultural exchange
- Help new international students get settled and become members of the community at The Ohio State University!
Applications are currently closed. Contact Megan Lawther with questions.