International Students

Social Security Number

Autumn 2021 Update

Due to COVID-19, the application process for social security numbers has been adjusted for autumn semester. Visit New Process for Social Security Number for more information.

A Social Security Number (SSN) is a unique, 9-digit number used for taxpayer identification, income reporting and record-keeping purposes. The Social Security Administration (SSA) issues the SSN. In Columbus, the SSA is located at 200 N. High Street.

You may apply for a Social Security Number if you are employed in the United States. Once issued, the number is valid for one's lifetime. If you are not employed, you may apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).

Applying for a Social Security Number

In order to apply for a Social Security Number, F-1 and J-1 students will need to:

In order to apply for a Social Security Number J-1 scholars will need to:

The Social Security Administration requires the following items in order to apply for a
Social Security Number:

  1. Passport
  2. I-94 card (Print a copy at
  3. Form I-20 or DS-2019
  4. Complete Employment Verification Letter
  5. Complete Form SS5, which is available at the Social Security Administration or can be downloaded at

The Social Security Administration is located at 200 N. High Street in the Federal Building. If you do not have a car or someone to drive you, take the No. 2 COTA bus South on High Street. Ask the bus driver to let you off at the nearest bus stop. Visit for the most up to date business hours.

Once you receive your Social Security Number by mail you must:

Identity theft and your Social Security Number

Be careful with your Social Security card and number. Show your card to your employer when you start a job so your records are correct. Provide your Social Security number to your financial institution(s) for tax reporting purposes. Keep your card and any other document that shows your Social Security Number on it in a safe place. DO NOT routinely carry your card or other documents that display your number. Learn more.

Tax information

Each year, the United States Internal Revenue Service (IRS) requires that all workers file a tax return which is due on April 15 of the following year. As a nonresident alien, you are also required to file a tax return, which is sometimes called Form 1040NR or Form 1040NR-EZ. As an employee of The Ohio State University, you will complete your tax return through the Glacier website.

Form 1042-S

In order to complete your tax return, you will need some basic information about your employer, as well as detailed information about how much income you earned over the past year. As a nonresident alien, you will receive this information through Form 1042-S; U.S. citizens receive this information through Form W-2.

Ohio State is required to furnish your yearly 1042-S by March 15 of the following year. You may elect to receive your 1042-S online through Glacier. Otherwise, you will receive a copy of Form 1042-S by U.S. mail.

Some nonresident aliens may receive both a W-2 and a 1042-S. If this applies to you, then you may refer to W2 Online for instructions on how you can access your W-2 through the ePayroll system.


As a foreign national, you may already know how daunting understanding your tax obligations can be. That's why the university has provided you with a program called Glacier.

Glacier is a web-based computer program that provides a "beginning to end" tax compliance solution. Once the university determines that you are a nonresident alien, you will receive an email to your email address directing you to the Glacier website with a password for entry. After asking a few simple questions, the Glacier program will guide you through the tax filing process.

Glacier does the following:

If you are a nonresident alien and you have not received Glacier information, please contact the Tax Office at Additional resources can be found online.