You are required to commit or decline your acceptance offer to your education abroad program within 10 days of receiving notification from the Office of International Affairs. Failure to respond to your acceptance offer will result in removal from the program.
If you decide to cancel your participation in your education abroad program after you have committed, you must immediately inform both your education abroad coordinator and third party provider coordinator (if applicable) via email. The decision not to participate after you have committed will have financial consequences as outlined below. In addition, if you cease to meet the conditions for participation in an Ohio State study abroad program after you have been notified of your acceptance, you may not be permitted to participate in your program, and will face the same financial consequences as outlined in the cancellation policy below. You are strongly encouraged to share this policy with anyone (parents, guardians, others) who will be providing you with financial assistance during your study abroad program.
Cancellation Policy for Ohio State Faculty-led Programs
The Office of International Affairs works closely with overseas institutions, travel agencies and suppliers to provide a full array of services. These services frequently require the Office of International Affairs to make deposits and other non-refundable financial commitments. Remember that your application fee will be refunded only if you are not accepted to your study abroad program or submit a written request to withdraw prior to the application deadline.
If you decide to cancel your participation 11 days after the date of your notification of acceptance, you will be subject to the cancellation policy. This policy applies to all cancellations, regardless of the reason. Please use this date duration calculator to determine the number of days between when you received your acceptance notification and the start of your program.
- If you withdraw within 10 days from the date of your notification of acceptance, you will not be charged any cancellation fee. For example, if your acceptance notification was postmarked electronically on March 29, you will have until 11:59 p.m. on April 8 for your withdrawal notification to be submitted.
- If you decline your acceptance (by clicking the “decline” button) or withdraw your application within 10 days from your acceptance notification date, you will not be charged a cancellation fee.
- If you withdraw any time 11 days after your acceptance notification and more than 95 days prior to the start date of your program, you will be liable for a $200 cancellation fee. For example, if your acceptance notification was postmarked electronically on March 29, your program start date is October 1, and you withdraw on June 27 or earlier, you will be responsible for a $200 cancellation fee.*
- If you withdraw 60 - 95 days prior to the start date of your study abroad program, you are liable for 25% of your study abroad program fee.
- If you withdraw 45 - 59 days prior to the start date of your study abroad program, you are liable for 50% of your study abroad program fee.
- If you withdraw 30 - 44 days prior to the start date of your study abroad program, you are liable for 75% of your study abroad program fee.
- If you withdraw less than 30 days prior to the start date of your study abroad program, you are liable for 100% of your study abroad program fee.
*If there is no program fee associated with your Ohio State faculty-led program, you will be liable for a $200 cancellation fee if you withdraw anytime between 11 days after your acceptance notification and your program start date.
If you withdraw any time after the electronic notification of acceptance (to a study abroad program, you will be subject to the cancellation schedule below.
* If there is no program fee associated with your faculty-led program, you will be liable for a $200 cancellation fee if you withdraw anytime between 11 days after your acceptance notification (and your program start date.
Cancellation Policy for third party provider, direct enroll or international exchange programs
Remember that your application fee will be refunded only if you are not accepted to your education abroad program or submit a written request to withdraw prior to the application deadline. If you withdraw 11 days after your acceptance/nomination notification, you will be liable for a $200 cancellation fee.
Cancellation Fee Appeal
Appeals are reviewed by the Education Abroad Appeal Committee and determinations are made based on reason for appeal and supporting documentation. Appeals decisions are rendered within 10 business days of appeal submission, and notification of committee decision will be sent to the student via email to his or her Ohio State email account.
Extenuating circumstances are defined as:
- Medical:Can be physical, mental, emotional, etc. and requires documentation from attending physician.
Illness/Death in the Immediate Family: Family medical emergency (surgery, long-term illness diagnosed) which requires documentation from attending physician. Death of an immediate family member—parents, guardians, siblings, children, spouses, registered domestic partners—does not include grandparents and requires appropriate documentation.
Military Activation: Requires a copy of the military activation orders showing dates that conflict with the program dates.
Unanticipated Change in Financial Situation: Termination of main source of income, filing of bankruptcy, etc. are examples of changes in financial situation and require appropriate documentation. Financial emergency does not include "did not understand what I was financially accountable for" nor does it include "not eligible for financial aid/did not receive a scholarship I was counting on."
- Other: A circumstance of other must be out of the student’s control and requires supporting documentation of situation, process, and timeline.
Students sign an acknowledgement of understanding at the time of confirmation of acceptance which includes a statement that they have read and understand the OIA Cancellation Policy.
If you wish to appeal the cancellation fee, please complete the Study Abroad Cancellation Fee Appeal form.
Withdrawal after departure
If you withdraw after your program begins, your OIA Education Abroad Program Fee will not be refunded, and you may be responsible for non-recoverable costs. If you withdraw from your third party, direct enroll or international exchange program, there may also be financial consequences administered by your program provider. Please make sure you understand the withdrawal policies set forth by your program provider.
Refund of tuition
Refund of your tuition will be handled via normal student refund processes. For more information regarding student refunds, please visit the Office of Financial Services.
Student financial aid
If you withdraw from a study abroad program at any time prior to departure or after the program commences, you should inform the Student Service Center of your withdrawal, so that your financial aid can be reviewed, if necessary, and will continue uninterrupted.
If you withdraw from a study abroad program after the program commences, your decision may have academic and financial consequences. Depending on the date of your withdrawal, you may receive a “W” on your Ohio State academic record and may forfeit partial or full Ohio State tuition. You are also encouraged to contact your academic advisor to help ensure minimal interruption of your academic progress. For details on add/drop deadlines for tuition refunds, please visit the Office of the University Registrar.