The grant competition is currently closed. Updated information will be posted autumn semester 2021.
The Office of International Affairs, the Office of Research, the Graduate School, and the Global Gateways are sponsoring a grant competition for graduate students.
Student activities are subject to university requirements regarding travel to risk-designated countries. Read Ohio State's travel policies and requirements.
Proposals are sought for a wide range of research and scholarship projects, which include but are not limited to:
- Promoting active international research collaborations
- Addressing global issues in a regional context
- Connecting discipline-specific research to the implementation of projects and programs in diverse geopolitical and cultural settings
- Exploring the languages, cultures, arts, social sciences and area studies
The award committee is comprised of faculty from across a variety of disciplines. Awards are based on merit, according to the following criteria:
- Quality of project
- Qualifications of the applicant
- Appropriateness of proposed budget
Proposals for specific research projects can request funds to support:
- Travel expenses related to research or a research collaboration (transportation, lodging, airfare, other)
- Research project expenses (e.g. acquiring data, supplies, materials)
- Costs for development and hosting of a conference, workshop, speaker series (professional conference travel is not eligible for support)
- Conduct PhD dissertation and pre-dissertation research, MA thesis projects
Grants awarded to graduate students will be up to $5,000.
Proposal Preparation and Submission
Proposals must include:
- Abstract not to exceed one page, double spaced, 12 pt. font
- Research proposal not to exceed five pages, double spaced, 12 pt. font. Please include the title of project without the name of applicant(s) as this is a blind review.
- Itemized budget – with a description of how the funds will be used
- A short Curriculum Vitae or resume, not to exceed two pages
- A letter of recommendation from faculty advisor
Sample Application Link (for reference only)