International Students

Special Student Relief

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) offers Special Student Relief (SSR), the suspension of certain regulatory requirements, for F-1 students from countries experiencing emergent situations. Regulatory requirements that DHS may suspend include duration of status, a full course of study and off-campus employment eligibility.

To apply, students must meet the SSR student criteria and be from a currently eligible country. View the most up-to-date list of countries eligible for SSR.

Questions about the SSR application process or eligibility should be discussed with an immigration attorney or Student Legal Services at 614-247-5853. After you review with an immigration attorney, reach out to an immigration coordinator at the Office of International Affairs to go over the process of requesting the required I-20 by scheduling an advising appointment or emailing

It should be noted that SSR and Temporary Protected Status (TPS) are different. Please review our TPS page for more information on this separate special circumstance.

Additional Information