International Students

International Organization Internship

F-1 students may be eligible for off-campus employment if they will participate in an internship with an eligible international organization under category (c)(3)(ii). Unlike other off-campus employment authorizations, F-1 students do not need to wait a full academic year before they become eligible to apply for this benefit from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), and it can be requested multiple times. This employment authorization does not reduce the available periods of future practical training.

Basic eligibility criteria:

Guidance on eligibility and the USCIS application process for requesting work authorization for an internship at a qualifying international organization should be provided by an immigration attorney. Contact an immigration attorney or Student Legal Services at 614-247-5853 with questions.

If you need to request the necessary I-20 with the recommendation for your internship with an international organization to include with your application to USCIS, please contact an immigration coordinator at or schedule an advising appointment.

Additional Information