International Students

Academic Training

Academic Training is a type of off-campus work authorization for J-1 students. It is available before completion of your program of study as well as afterward and may be for paid or unpaid employment. You may work part-time on Academic Training while classes are in session and full-time during summer vacation periods and official school breaks. J-1 students in degree-granting programs, as well as those in non-degree exchange programs, are eligible to apply for Academic Training.

Eligibility requirements

Time limitations

Before completion of study

You may be authorized for Academic Training prior to your graduation date, as long as you will continue to be enrolled in a full course of study during autumn and spring semesters, and will make normal progress towards your degree while you are employed.

You may be authorized to work part-time (up to 20 hours per week) on academic training during autumn and spring semesters and may be authorized to work full-time (beyond 20 hours per week) during authorized summer vacation terms and official semester breaks.

If you are a graduate student who has completed all course requirements and requires academic training to complete a thesis or dissertation, you may apply for full-time academic training during the autumn or spring semester; however, you must continue to enroll full-time even when you are approved to work full-time.

After completion of study

In-person requirement

Application procedure 

Documents needed for employment

When you begin work (as a paid employee), you and your employer must complete Form I-9, which requires you to document your identity and work authorization according to the directions on the back of the form. Of the various items acceptable as documentation, you may find that the most convenient combination is your passport, Form I-94 and Form DS-2019. Your employer, who keeps Form I-9, will make copies of the documents you submit and return the originals to you. Form I-9 must be updated any time that you receive a renewal of your permission for academic training.

Social Security and other taxes

For more information on taxes, please visit Taxes.

Forms needed

If you have further questions, please contact an Immigration Coordinator at 614-292-6101; email; or schedule an appointment through our online system.