International Students

Driver's License and ID Cards

Driving in Ohio

Getting an Ohio Driver’s License

You must have a valid license to drive in Ohio. Generally, an International Driver License will not be considered a valid license by law enforcement in and around Ohio State. Review the Digest of Ohio Motor Vehicle Laws. This manual contains directions on how to obtain a driver’s license and lists offices where you can take both a written exam and a driving test to receive your license.

Before getting your driver’s license, you must get a Temporary Instruction Permit Identification Card. Bring the following documents with you to a license agency to obtain a temporary permit:

While driving with a Temporary Instruction Permit, you must have a passenger in the front seat of the car who is a licensed driver, is over the age of 21 and is not impaired by alcohol or other drugs. After completing twenty-four hours of driving practice, you must complete the Twenty-Four Hour Affidavit found at You can have the form notarized at Student Legal Services—call or go online to schedule an appointment.

If you wish to park on campus in designated lots, you will need to purchase a university parking permit. Call 614-688-0000 for more information.

State of Ohio Identification Card

This card is available to non-drivers who want a form of identification to use in place of a driver’s license. Take the same documents required for a driver’s license to 4503 Kenny Road or another license agency. You need to have lived in Ohio for 30 days to be eligible to get this card.

Social Security Number

A Social Security Number (SSN) is a unique, 9-digit number used for taxpayer identification, income reporting and record-keeping purposes. You may apply for an SSN if you are employed in the United States. Once issued, the number is valid for one’s lifetime. If you are not employed, you may apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). Learn how to apply for an SSN.