International Scholars


Sufficient funding for the length of the stay is required by the U.S. Department of State, which is in charge of the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program. Minimum annual funding to cover living expenses and health insurance at Ohio State:

Annual Living Expenses

   Monthly  Yearly
 J-1:  $1,600  $19,200
 J-2 Spouse:  $750  $9,000
 J-2 Child (under 21):  $550  $6,600

To be able to produce the DS-2019, our office must receive from you proof of financial support, which can be one or a combination of the following:

Personal bank statement that must show the following information:

Letter from the employer showing:

Scholarship, award, etc. letter (in English) showing the following information:

If parents or relatives will be supporting you:

The amounts listed in the chart above represent expenses necessary for one year. If you will be here for more than one year, multiply the total annual amount by the number of years you will be at The Ohio State University. If you will be at Ohio State less than one year, divide the total amount by 12 and then multiply by the total number of months you will be at the university. This is the amount of funding you must show in financial documents both to Ohio State as well as to the U.S. consular office when applying for the visa.