Scholars will not be able to receive a Form DS-2019 from the new institution unless the following steps are completed. A Departure/Transfer Appointment may be requested upon an OIA immigration specialist’s request.
- Contact the Human Resources representative in your departure to initiate the J-1 Departure application in IntBuckeye system. This online application will require you to upload the Transfer Form, which provides your end date at Ohio State, the name of the new institution to which you intend to transfer, that program's Exchange Visitor Program number and the desired release date from Ohio State. NOTE: On government documents, there can be no break in program dates between Ohio State and your new institution.
- The Office of International Affairs will update your record in SEVIS as a “transfer out” and indicate the name of the institution to which you intend to transfer, along with a release date and exchange visitor program number. The release date is usually the date of expected transfer but before the expiration of the current DS-2019 issued by Ohio State.
- You may request that the Office International Affairs cancel the “transfer out” at any time prior to the release date.
- As of the release date, the new institution will have full access to your SEVIS record and assumes responsibility for you, at which time the new institution will issue you a Form DS-2019.
- You must contact the international office at the new institution within 15 days of the start date listed on the DS-2019 to avoid violating your status.
- The new institution must verify your participation in its J-1 program and update your address with SEVIS within 30 days of the effective date of transfer, thereby acknowledging that you have completed the transfer process.
If you are currently in the United States in J-1 status at another institution and will be transferring to The Ohio State University as a J-1, you will not receive your DS-2019 until you arrive on campus and report to our office. You will need to coordinate the transition between your current institution and Ohio State. Both institutions must be involved in your transfer, coordinating the completion of your current program and the start of your program at Ohio State so there is no break in your J-1 program.
When transferring, it's important to keep in mind that changes in program objective are not permitted under U.S. Department of State (DOS) J-1 regulations. After reviewing the completed transfer materials OIA may require the host department to complete the Continuation of Same Objective Form to ensure compliance with DOS regulations.
To begin this process:
- Speak with your Ohio State departmental Human Resources (HR) person about initiating the eScholar process.
- After you receive the invitation email from your HR person, you will be directed to complete a J-1 Scholar Application via the IntBuckeye system where you will be required to upload all copies of your DS-2019s.
- Please coordinate the details between your current institution and Ohio State to be sure there is no break between the end date at your current institution and the start date at Ohio State.
- Schedule an Orientation Appointment.
- You will receive your DS-2019 at orientation.