International Scholars

Post-Arrival Checklist

Complete departmental paperwork

Complete new employee paperwork and procedures in your Ohio State host department. Complete tax forms and paperwork for the Ohio State ID card. Determine availability of office space and supplies as well as expectations within the department.

Obtain an Ohio State identification card (BuckID, Medical Center ID or Children's Hospital ID)

Contact the administrative representative in your department. Your Ohio State ID Card allows access to facilities including libraries, recreation centers, computer labs, etc.

How to obtain a BuckID

Attend Visiting Scholar Orientation

Fulfill the mandatory check-in requirement by selecting an Orientation Session at International Affairs in Enarson Classroom Building. Review materials and keep these materials where you can refer to them as needed. Download the presentation to review.

Obtain health insurance

The U.S. government requires all J-1 scholars and their J-2 dependents to have health insurance coverage that meets certain minimum requirements throughout their entire stay in the U.S.  If you will be using an Ohio State Faculty and Staff Medical Plan, you will need to arrange for that immediately upon arriving at Ohio State.  See the Human Resources person in your department about this.

Get a U.S. social security card

Take social security letter provided by International Affairs as well as passport, I-94 card, and DS-2019 or I-797 H-1B Approval Notice to the Social Security Office, Federal Building, 200 N High Street, Columbus, Ohio.

Tour the campus

If you're interested, call 614-292-3980 (Admissions Office) and make a reservation. Guided tours of some of the campus buildings are provided to visitors, new students, faculty and staff. Learn more at for more details.