As you prepare to depart the United States, there are a number of tasks you'll need to complete before you leave. Review the items on this pre-departure checklist to ensure that you have everything in order before you go abroad.
- Complete the online independent education abroad self-report form to enroll in mandatory supplemental insurance.
- Apply for your passport immediately and a visa, if required.
- Read the Education Abroad Handbook thoroughly.
- Complete the Departmental Credit Evaluation Form for any courses you plan to take abroad.
- Complete the Consortium Agreement process for Federal Financial Aid (if applicable.)
- Register with the U.S. Department of State's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).
Other things to remember
- If seeking credit, meet with your academic advisor to discuss if/how transfer (K) credit may be used toward degree requirements, as well as manually opening your Ohio State registration for the term following your program abroad.
- If you are an international student, consult an immigration coordinator at the Office of International Affairs to make sure your visa and other documents are in order.
- Schedule a Travel Medicine Consultation at the Student Health Center, by calling 614-292-4321, or with your health care provider.
- If you are on any medication(s), make sure you can legally bring your medication into the country and if you can bring enough for the length of your travel or will need a prescription to fill it abroad. (Once enrolled, the supplemental insurance plan has assistance in planning medications abroad.)
- Arrange for continuation of your regular health insurance coverage while you are studying abroad.
- Plan how to handle your money while abroad. This includes notifying your credit card company and bank of the dates and locations of your travels, being aware of foreign transaction fees and ATM fees, planning how much money to take and knowing how to access emergency funds if necessary.
- Make copies of important documents (passport, visa, insurance card, prescriptions, credit cards, etc.), both to carry with you and to leave at home.
- Pay all required fees and clear all registration holds on your university Statement of Account.
- Pay your program provider/host institution.
- Familiarize yourself with the history, economy and culture of where you are going.
- Discuss safety concerns and emergency contact procedures with your family and friends.
- Make housing arrangements for after your return from your experience abroad.