Ohio State Navbar

The Ohio State UniversityOffice of International Affairs

give a donation

Environmental Allergies

Gabrielle exploring HungaryStudents requesting housing or other accommodations related to environmental allergies should consult with their doctor about their travel plans, including location(s), duration and specific itinerary details. When exploring options and preparing to travel, consider  the following:

  • Transportation: Will long distance airline travel provide exposure to animals, scents or other triggers in flight or in airports?
  • Housing: Will you stay in a hotel, dorm, field station, homestay with local family? Are there lodging options that can reduce exposure to scents, smoke or other allergens? Does the housing lack doors, windows, screens or air-conditioning to mitigate exposure to insects?
  • Local Environment: What is the local air-quality and potential exposure to air pollution? Is the program located at an increased elevation? Is the program in a remote or wilderness location?
  • Medical Resources: Do you require routine or potential emergency access to an allergist or medical professional in the event of an allergic reaction? Do you require medication (including EpiPen) that may be unobtainable or illegal in your destination? Would an allergic reaction prompt the need for emergency services within certain proximity?

Action items for students disclosing information and seeking reasonable environmental accommodations:

  1. All Travelers: Consult with a trained medical provider or allergist about your travel itinerary. Utilize the resource links below to develop strategies to prepare for travel, communicate your health needs and identify resources for medical care.
  2. Ohio State faculty-led program: Communicate your request to your program coordinator as soon as possible. Requests for housing accommodations should be made immediately. Indicate if your condition may require access to routine or emergency medical care.
  3. Third party provider, direct enrollment or international exchange programs: Requests should be made directly to the program provider or overseas program. This is typically done on a separate accommodations or housing form submitted directly to the program.

Ohio State Resources

External Resources