International Scholars

TN Temporary Worker

General information

In accordance with the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) a designated group of professionals are admissible for employment in the U.S. under NAFTA without the requirement of an approved United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) petition. The nonimmigrant NAFTA Professional (TN) status allows citizens of Canada and Mexico, as NAFTA professionals, to work in the United States for up to three years. These professionals can enter the United States by providing documentation at the port of entry or U.S. consulate abroad that they will be engaged in one of the designated professions (see NAFTA Professional Job Series List). Other significant characteristics include:


Mexican and Canadian NAFTA Professional Worker has a complete listing of what the scholar will need either to apply for a visa (Mexican citizens) or to show at the Port of Entry (Canadian Citizens).

The department needs to provide a detailed letter that:

Additional information about TN status (as it applies to scholars)