International Scholars

Health Insurance

Ohio State does have certain health insurance requirements for its international scholars. It is important to carefully read the information about selecting the health insurance program that will be best for you, immunizations that may be necessary, what type of medical history would be appropriate to bring with you and the medical services that are available to you and your families on campus.

In the United States, the government does not pay for health care. Individuals and/or their insurance companies must pay for every visit to the doctor or to the hospital. Healthcare in the United States is very expensive. Since medical costs are so high, it is necessary to buy health insurance and make payments to the insurance company, and then the health insurance company pays some or all of the medical bills.

J-1 and Dependents

Ohio State international scholars holding J-1 status are required by the U.S. government to have health insurance that meets their minimum specifications. All family members holding J-2 status also are required to have adequate health insurance. Visit the Required Health Insurance page for detailed information.

H-B, TN and Permanent Residency

All other scholars (H-1B, TN and Permanent Residency) have several options available to them, The Office of International Affairs recommends the Gallagher Student Health and Special Risk Plan. This plan provides 100 percent coverage with no deductible for expenses related to any accident and sickness and 100 percent coverage for medical evacuation and repatriation, but does not include dental. Visit the Optional Dental Insurance page to learn more.