International Scholars

Maintaining Status

Employees holding H-1B status must maintain employment as described in the H-1B petition. Any change in the terms and conditions of the employment (reduction in salary, change of number of hours, job duties, new employer, etc.) requires the filing of a new H-1B petition.

Employees who want to request unpaid leave should consult the Office of International Affairs first to ensure the leave does not negatively impact the H-1B status. Unpaid leave at the employer's request is not permitted.

Working for another employer requires additional H-1B filing with USCIS by the new employer. Direct reimbursement for travel, room and board is permitted but monetary honoraria, awards, and fellowships are not allowed.

Length of Status

The normal maximum time permitted on an H-1B status is 6 years. A maximum of three years may be requested at one time. More time beyond the normal 6-year maximum may be requested depending on how far along you are in the processing of obtaining permanent residency in the United States. See Permanent Residents for more information.

Address Reporting Requirement

USCIS requires that all H-1B and H-4 status holders notify them of any address change within 10 days of moving by submitting Form AR-11. The Form AR-11 can be submitted online.


Must be valid for at least 6 months into the future.