International Scholars


Eight to eleven months after your materials are submitted to the Office of International Affairs. Due to the federal government agencies involved, the length of time fluctuates and changes without notice. For more information, see Step by Step.

The H-1B petition requires substantial documentation to be submitted, examined, and approved by U.S. Government agencies. Other factors can delay the process, such as an inaccurate Ohio State position description or if the salary offered is too low. See H-1B Worker and Step by Step for more information.

The Office of International Affairs will need to change the requested employment start date since the start date must be in the future when the petition is sent to USCIS. In some situations, the foreign national may need to temporarily depart from the United States.

It depends on the type of H-1B case and the choice of processing at USCIS. See H-1B Fees for more information.

The employer is required to pay the standard fees for the H-1B petition. See H-1B Fees for more information.

No, the Office of International Affairs processes all H-1B cases for employees at Ohio State.

No, because all the same materials must be prepared and submitted to DOL and USCIS for an H-1B petition for extension. See Extension and Step by Step for more information.

Yes, a new H-1B petition for the new position must be submitted to USCIS before you can begin in the new position. See Changes in Position.

When the official USCIS receipt notice is received on or after the requested start date of the H-1B petition. See Portability for more details.

Depending on your situation, travel outside the United States can impact how and when your case is submitted to USCIS and can cause significant problems if you leave while it is pending at USCIS. It is important that you inform the OIA Immigration Specialist/Coordinator assigned to your case of all your travel outside the United States, including Canada and Mexico. See Travel for more details.