To act as a conscientious global citizen and avoid giving a negative perception of Americans:
- Avoid telling people that Americans do things better.
- Be a person who shares and is inclusive in relationships.
- Be genuinely interested in your host country and its people.
- Do not talk a lot about your possessions or your family and friends.
- Do not demand special treatment because you are an American.
- Do not drink to excess.
- Avoid making negative comparisons between your host country and the United States
- Do not be too obvious or loud about your patriotism/nationalism.
- Do not throw your money around.
– Adapted from Australian Education Office’s pre-departure guide