Ohio State Navbar

The Ohio State UniversityOffice of International Affairs

give a donation


Sufficient funding for the length of the stay is required by the U.S. Department of State, which is in charge of the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program. Minimum annual funding to cover living expenses and health insurance at Ohio State:

Annual Living Expenses

   Monthly  Yearly
 J-1:  $1,600  $19,200
 J-2 Spouse:  $750  $9,000
 J-2 Child (under 21):  $550  $6,600

To be able to produce the DS-2019, our office must receive from you proof of financial support, which can be one or a combination of the following:

Personal bank statement that must show the following information:

  1. Bank
  2. Date
  3. Name on the account
  4. Amount of money in the account(s)

Letter from the employer showing:

  1. You will continue to be paid your salary
  2. Amount of funding
  3. Dates of funding

Scholarship, award, etc. letter (in English) showing the following information:

  1. Name of the sponsor
  2. Your name
  3. Amount of funding
  4. Dates of funding

If parents or relatives will be supporting you:

  1. signed letter from that person stating that they will be supporting you during your stay
  2. bank statement (as above) showing they have the necessary amount of money to support you

The amounts listed in the chart above represent expenses necessary for one year. If you will be here for more than one year, multiply the total annual amount by the number of years you will be at The Ohio State University. If you will be at Ohio State less than one year, divide the total amount by 12 and then multiply by the total number of months you will be at the university. This is the amount of funding you must show in financial documents both to OSU as well as to the U.S. consular office when applying for the visa.