Ohio State Navbar

The Ohio State UniversityOffice of International Affairs

give a donation

Post-Arrival Checklist

Find a Suitable Place to Live

Be sure the housing you select meets your needs. Consider transportation to and from campus, cost, safety, lifestyle, etc. It is preferable to rent an apartment only after seeing it. Check with International Affairs or someone in your hiring department to confirm that an apartment's location is close to campus and safe. Find more information about housing and getting to know Columbus in our web resources.

Complete Departmental Paperwork

Complete new employee paperwork and procedures in your OSU host department. Complete tax forms and paperwork for the OSU ID card. Determine availability of office space and supplies as well as expectations within the department.

Obtain an Ohio State University Identification Card (BUCKID, OSU Medical Center ID, or Children's Hospital ID)

Contact the administrative representative in your department. Your OSU ID Card allows access to OSU facilities including libraries, recreation centers, computer labs, etc.

How to obtain a BuckID

  • The person in your department in charge of Human Resources will give you personnel paperwork to complete. If you do not have a Social Security number, the Ohio State computer system will assign you an ID number. Your data will be entered on the computer.

  • The department Human Resources representative will then print for you an Ohio State ID card application.

  • The last step is to go to the ID Center, Room 3040 on the third floor of the Ohio Union, 1739 N. High St., to have a photo taken and to receive the ID. (Employees at the OSU Medical Center and Children's Hospital follow a different procedure—please contact your department's Human Resource officer).

Attend Visiting Scholar Orientation

Fulfill the mandatory check-in requirement by selecting an Orientation Session at International Affairs in Enarson Classroom Building. Review materials and keep these materials where you can refer to them as needed. Download the presentation to review.

Obtain Health Insurance

The U.S. government requires all J-1 scholars and their J-2 dependents to have health insurance coverage that meets certain minimum requirements throughout their entire stay in the U.S.  If you will be using an Ohio State Faculty and Staff Medical Plan, you will need to arrange for that immediately upon arriving at Ohio State.  See the Human Resources person in your department about this.

Get a U.S. Social Security Card

Take social security letter provided by International Affairs as well as passport, I-94 card, and DS-2019 or I-797 H-1B Approval Notice to the Social Security Office, Federal Building, 200 N High Street, Columbus, Ohio.

Tour of the Campus

If you're interested, call 614-292-3980 (Admissions Office) and make a reservation. Guided tours of some of the campus buildings are provided to visitors, new students, faculty and staff. Learn more at visit.osu.edu for more details.