Scholars must request and obtain an extension of their DS-2019 one to three months PRIOR to the program end date noted on their current DS-2019. When an extension is granted, the scholar and all J-2 dependents will be issued a new DS-2019. For extensions, you do NOT need to re-pay the SEVIS fee.
After an extension of their J-1 program, scholars planning to travel internationally and then re-enter the U.S. may need to renew their J-1 visa (stamp in their passport). Please make sure to check the expiration date of your visa to make sure it is still valid for re-entry into the U.S. If your current J-1 visa has expired, you will need to apply for a new one at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate outside the U.S. (Note: A new visa is not needed for visits of less than 30 days to Canada or Mexico under Automatic Revalidation rules.) A list of other items needed for international travel is available on the travel section of our website.
Scholars must also maintain their insurance until the new program end date listed on the new DS-2019.
To issue an extension, scholars must:
- Determine Extension Eligibility
- How long have you already been in the U.S.?
- Maximum stay for J-1 Short-Term Scholars: 6 months
- Maximum stay for J-1 Research Scholars & Professors: 5 years
- Have you ever been granted a waiver? If yes, you are not eligible to extend your program.
- Complete Extension Form
- Fill out form completely, answering each question
- Financial support must include the total amount of funding for the period from your current program end date to the new requested end date
- Signatures from both an authorized departmental representative and your Human Resources person are required
- Schedule an Extension Appointment to submit the form to an Immigration Coordinator
- Things to bring to extension appointment
- Completed extension form
- Financial support documents (if funding is not from Ohio State)
- Proof of Health Insurance for yourself and all J-2 dependents
- Minimum Required Funding Amount
Monthly Yearly J-1: $1,600 $19,200 J-2 Spouse: $750 $9,000 J-2 Child (under 21): $550 $6,600
NOTE: Scholars who do not obtain a new DS-2019 prior to the program end date violate their status.