Departure Reporting Requirement (including transfers and change of status)
Your J-1 program at The Ohio State University will end when:
- You reach the end date of your DS-2019
- You leave earlier than the current end date on your DS-2019 or
- You transfer to another university (please ensure that have already completed the paperwork ahead of time)
If you are ready to end your program with The Ohio State University, you need to prepare for departure by doing the following:
- Fill out the Departure Form and sign it
- Take the Departure Form to your Human Resources contact in your department who will submit it to the OIA advisor who signed your DS-2019
- Read the J-1 Departure Checklist to ensure you take care of some important items
After the date on your Departure Form, you have a 30-day grace period following completion of your program to:
- Depart the U.S.
- Apply for a change of status, if eligible. International Affairs highly recommends applying for a change of status before your program's end date
If your J-1 program at Ohio State ends earlier than the end date listed on Form DS-2019, then the 30-day grace period begins upon the actual completion date of your program, not the end date on Form DS-2019.
NOTE: Transfers to another J-1 program must be completed before the end date on Form DS-2019.
If you were a J-1 scholar at OSU (paid or unpaid), you must file tax forms.