Ohio State Navbar

The Ohio State UniversityOffice of International Affairs

give a donation

How to become a J-1 Scholar

  1. Research the department you would like to work with/for.
  2. Identify a faculty member who is doing research/teaching in an area of interest to you.
  3. Contact the department and inquire about the possibility of being an Exchange Visitor.
  4. Once an agreement has been reached, the Ohio State department will send you a link to fill out information.
  5. Your department completes their section of the information and submits to the Office of International Affairs (OIA).
  6. OIA prepares your immigration document. 
  7. Your department sends you the DS-2019 immigration document so you can apply for your visa.