Ohio State Navbar

The Ohio State UniversityOffice of International Affairs

give a donation

  • Summer Institute

    The 7th Annual One Health Summer Institute takes place May 15 - August 31, 2018.

  • Global Engagement News

    Check out the newsletter to stay updated on Global Engagement's activities on campus and in Columbus.

  • Global Competencies

    Watch video of Ohio State students reflecting on how they developed global skills through education abroad programs.

J-1 On-Campus Employment

Federal regulations require any J-1 on-campus employment to be reported to and approved by the Office of International Affairs. In order to make the reporting of such employment more efficient, we have created a J-1 On-Campus Employment Form for you and your campus employer to complete.

The on-campus employment that you are required to report to us includes the following types of employment: Assistantship (GTA, GRA, GAA), Fellowship (with work component), or any other On-Premises Employment (campus dining, library work, etc.).

Any on-campus employment must be reported to International Affairs prior to the employment commencing. On-campus employment may only be authorized for up to 12 months at a time. Employment may continue beyond one year, however the student's employment authorization must be updated every 12 months. J-1 students may only work a maximum of 20 hours per week while school is in session. During semester breaks and authorized annual vacation terms, J-1 students may work an unlimited number of hours per week.

Please submit the J-1 On-Campus Employment Form to the International Affairs front reception desk in Enarson Classroom Building or scan and email the completed form to iss@osu.edu with the subject line: J-1 On-Campus Employment. If you also submitted an Employment Verification letter, an immigration coordinator will email you once the form is ready for you to pick up.

Please note that on-campus employment authorization is different from authorized Academic Training. Approval for Academic Training is a separate process and you need to meet with an immigration coordinator at OIA. For additional information visit Academic Training.