Ohio State Navbar

The Ohio State UniversityOffice of International Affairs

give a donation

Victims of Crime Abroad

If you are the victim of a crime abroad, Ohio State will seek to assist you.

  1. Travelers should contact a designated in-country emergency contact, such as a faculty resident director, an on-site director, or other program leader, be in touch with this person as soon as possible.
  2. If the crime results in an emergency and you do not have a designated in-country emergency contact or you cannot reach the contact, you can contact the Ohio State 24/7 International Emergency Phone Line at +1-614-292-6677.

If you are the victim of a violent crime, including felonious assault or sexual violence, Ohio State has specific resources available.  Ohio State can also assist in arranging medical care, individual and group counseling, or seek to enact the bedside benefit coverage through the GeoBlue insurance.  In addition, Ohio State can advise and assist in reporting crimes to local authorities and accessing the assistance of the U.S. (or your country of citizenship) Embassy or Consulate.  

If you are a victim of a misdemeanor crime abroad, such as pickpocketing or stolen items and documents, Ohio State can offer advice and provide supplemental documentation for replacing lost or stolen funds and important documents such as passports

  • Lost or Stolen Funds: Ohio State, including university faculty or staff leading programs, does not have the capability to loan or replace lost or stolen funds. Funds can be replaced via transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram, or by depositing money to the traveler’s bank account.
  • Lost or Stolen Property: the GeoBlue supplemental insurance does not include coverage for lost, stolen or damaged personal items.  Claims for lost or stolen personal items would need to be filed with a homeowner’s (including a parent’s policy if still a legal dependent) or renter’s insurance policy.  If you do not have this coverage, you should consider purchasing an additional travel insurance policy for protection.