Ohio State Navbar

The Ohio State UniversityOffice of International Affairs

give a donation

Accommodations for a Sensory Disability

Sarah explores LondonStudents who are D/deaf, hard-of-hearing, blind or low-vision should consider researching the following information:

  • Transportation: What are the transportation options to program site abroad (e.g. group flight, individual travel)? What forms of local transportation are used – (e.g. public transportation, private coach, taxis)?
  • Accommodation: Will you stay in a hotel, dorm, field station, home stay with local family? Does the program require a daily commute between the housing and the academic facilities? Will service animals be permitted?
  • Activities: Does the program include excursions to museums, historical sites, field locations or adventure activities that may not have accessible arrangements?
  • Language: Are American sign-language interpreters available? Will accessible media be available and translated into English?

Action items for students disclosing and seeking reasonable sensory accommodations:

  1. Ohio State faculty-led program
    1. Communicate your request to your program coordinator as soon as possible. Requests for housing accommodations should be made immediately. Include any assistive technology or accessible media you currently utilize.
    2. If you are currently registered with the SLDS, inform your program coordinator of the name and contact information of your SLDS access specialist. If not registered, you may be requested to do so.
  2. Third party provider, direct enrollment or international exchange programs – Requests should be made directly to the program provider or overseas program. Your program coordinator and SLDS access specialist can assist in communicating accommodation requests.

External Resources