Ohio State Navbar

The Ohio State UniversityOffice of International Affairs

give a donation

Mobility Accommodations

Buckeye Pride from AustraliaStudents who use wheelchairs or other mobility devices, experience chronic fatigue or have other mobility-related concerns should consider researching the following:

  • Transportation: What are the transportation options to program site abroad (e.g. group flight, individual travel)? What forms of local transportation are used abroad (e.g. public transportation, private coach, taxis)?
  • Accommodation: What forms of accommodation are used (e.g. hotel, dorm, field station, home stay with local family)? Does the program require a daily commute between the housing and the academic facilities?
  • Activities: Does the program include excursions to museums, historical sites, field locations or adventure activities that may not have accessible arrangements?
  • Exertion Level: What is the exertion level on the program? Does the itinerary involve long-days or include opportunities for rest? Do certain activities involve long walks, tours, hiking or other strenuous physical activities?

Action items for students disclosing and seeking reasonable mobility accommodations:

  1. Ohio State faculty-led program
    1. Communicate your request to your program coordinator as soon as possible. Requests for housing accommodations should be made immediately.
    2. If you are currently registered with the SLDS, inform your program coordinator of the name and contact information of your SLDS access specialist. If not registered, you may be requested to do so.
  2. Third party provider, direct enrollment or international exchange programs: Requests will need to be made directly to the program provider or overseas program. Your program coordinator and access specialist can assist in communicating accommodation requests.

External Resources